Friday, July 22, 2016

AION - Remodeled Danuar Helm

Having been haunted for weeks by the "Hell-spawn" helmet (remember the plate helmet that I talked about in 1 of my previous posts - Remodeled Danuar Tunic?), I finally decide I should put an end to the nightmare, by modifying it into a less "hellish" look.

Well.... I have read about an article which analyzed why inanimate humanoid (i.e. corpse) or human look-alike always give us the chill. It turns out that the human brain sends a "warning" or "fear" signal when we see human-like objects (but not 100% human) or a corpse-like object. Can you imagine a ghost face with no eyes or the giants (from "Attack on Titans") with human face but staring eyes and enlarge mouth coupled with an over-expressive smile? Check out a scene from the movie below.


A scene from "Attack on Titans"
So, I guess the "hellish" feeling that I got from the helm probably came from both conditions, since it looks like an inanimate human head.  >.<"

Thus, I tried removing the goggle to reveal her eyes, and what a difference it made! Does that means that the theory holds? Compare the before and after modification image below and judge for yourself.



Front view
Side view
Top view
For those with sharp eyes, you may have noticed I did a few other enhancements to the helm.

First being her hair band, which is actually a nut (as in bolts & nuts). I find a grey rusty nut unhealthy for her hair and thus replace it with a shinier, golden one.

Next, I polished the wing badge on her forehead to bring out the shine.

And finally, removing the full goggle and replacing it with a new shiny eye piece with a cross-hair. I got the idea for the floating eye piece from "Allen Walker" in "D.Gray Man" animation, where an eye piece will appear in front of his left eye when it detects an "Akuma" (Demon in Japanese). Unfortunately, I am unable to achieve a one-eye effect because both eye pieces use the same texture, which means either both eyes or not at all.

I had also initially wanted to place a translucent texture in the middle of the eye piece, to make it look more like a glass, but the mesh was formed such that it is an opaque structure. Thus, it has to be either a colored or transparent area, instead of translucent.

So, do you guys prefer the before Mod or after Mod?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment